How often do you think about money?

how often do you think about money?

No, seriously.

Constantly? Throughout the day? Daily? Every few days? Once a week? As little as possible?

I’d have to say, more often than I can consciously count. Some aren’t really active thoughts as such, but general emotions related to finances, if that makes sense – feelings tied to broader money issues that are never far from my mind.

Lately, of course, they’ve often revolved around the financials of having kids. Patently ridiculous given actual timelines, but the nervous nelly/overplanner in me keeps rearing her head.

Here’s another thought…

How often would you LIKE to think about money?

For me, it doesn’t really matter, I don’t think. As long as the thoughts and feelings are positive.

Therein lies the trap, of course. More often than not, those money thoughts come with stress and worry.

How frequently do you really think about money? What specifically are those thoughts about?

9 thoughts on “How often do you think about money?

• Reply Jax May 3, 2017 at 08:14

I think about money all the time, and mostly in a way that stresses me out more than it helps. I wish I was able to spend money (on both needs and wants) without overthinking it. I worry about not having “enough” even though it’s be a very long time since I’ve been in a situation where I actually haven’t had enough. I wish I could form a clearer picture of what “enough” look like.

• Reply Kathryn May 3, 2017 at 12:19

I think about money all the time, but fortunately not stressing about it. I am always thinking of ways to optimize my budget or my financial plan. Honestly, even though I’m fortunate not to have to worry about having enough, I wish I thought about money less.

• Reply Sense May 3, 2017 at 15:07

Every day, probably. In a good way.

Other than not having enough for a dog + house (wouldn’t want a house otherwise!), I’m extremely content on the money front. Oftentimes it is the only thing in my life that I feel is going well. 🙂

• Reply Miss Mazuma May 4, 2017 at 14:54

All. The. Time. 😜 I’m getting better now that I removed all the finance apps from my phone. But, seriously, what do we really learn in the day to day that we don’t already know? Time is a HUGE factor. I just need to learn to let it work for me!

• Reply David May 4, 2017 at 14:55

I think about money wayyyyyyy too often. Probably at least 5-10 times a day. Ideally I would like to think about money when I get my paycheck twice a month, but that will never happen

• Reply Frugal Desperado May 6, 2017 at 01:42

All day, every day. All-consuming. Largely because I work in corporate misery to produce money (to pay off all the debt) so seeing the cubicle farm misery is a constant, the reminder that it’s all about money is a constant as well.

• Reply Amanda @ My Life, I Guess May 7, 2017 at 02:20

I think about money several times a day, but even more on the days that I spend money (paying bills, shopping, etc.). I wouldn’t say it’s stressful thinking, but it’s not exactly positive either. We’re getting by just fine now, but paying back even more debt than I had before really takes away the “fun” or happy feelings.

• Reply Revanche @ A Gai Shan Life May 8, 2017 at 15:58

When DON’T I think about money? (Rare to never). Mostly good, overall, but there are definitely times of queasiness like when househunting.

• Reply Agness of aTukTuk May 9, 2017 at 00:34

I find myself thinking often about money, especially when planning a travel. It seems like money makes the world go round. :/