I wasn’t going to participate in today’s prompt. What makes me special? NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. Anything I could possibly say, will apply to countless other people too. It’s the thing, these days, to tell everyone how unique they are and boost their fragile self-worth.
But I will, nonetheless. On their own, none of the characteristics that make me me are particularly interesting. But taken all together, that combination just might be enough to set me apart. Maybe. And If I can’t be narcissistic here, where the hell else can I do it?
- I love solitude and I need more alone time than anyone I’ve ever met (except, perhaps, for my once-upon-a-time best friend)
- But I still like to go out and dance every once in a while. Who wants to take me?
- Unlike anyone I’ve ever met, I love cauliflower but I won’t touch broccoli.
- I enjoy a lot of things that I’m decidedly mediocre at. Tennis. Guitar. Baking.
- Yet, I’m very competitive. It’s why I’m glad my friends have different strengths than me.
- I sometimes talk like I’m on Gilmore Girls and I wish more people would play along.
- I’m good at listening (except when it’s people going on about the minutiae of their job) and prefer it to talking about myself. Apart from when Reverb10 encourages me to, obviously.
- My threshold for annoyance is ridiculously low. If you get on my nerves, it will be patently obvious.
- I crave compliments and positive reinforcement, but never know how to accept them.
- I don’t do caffeine. Really. My stomach lining and wallet are grateful for it.
- I never had any desire to learn to drive. Driving stresses me out to the point that I get clammy and trembly from all my nerves and senses being on high alert. And don’t even start on parking.
- I stroke the numeric keypad on my keyboard when I’m deep in thought. Or bored.
But I disagree that these are what make me “beautiful”. Quirky, perhaps. Frustrating, sometimes.
No, I’m certain that these “beautiful” qualities are in fact universal: compassion, humour, and love.